Gate City girls, J.I. Burton boys win LPD tennis tournaments
By CODY DALTON
TRICITIESSPORTS.COM
WISE – Gate City’s Tara Sheets continued her impressive run in the LPD Tournament, as the Gate City Blue Devils girls tennis team won their fourth straight LPD Tournament crown. For the second day in a row, Sheets beat her opponent 6-0, 6-0 and didn’t allow a single point against her in singles competition throughout the tournament. This tournament is the four straight in the Lonesome Pine District and their 10th overall in a row for the Gate City girls. “I would like to commend Pound on how they played. They have improved since we’ve played them,” says Gate City Coach Jennie Gardner. “Our girls played well. It was a hard earned win.” When asked of how playing with a different new doubles partner this year, Tara Sheets says, “She has a different style of play. I like playing with Krista.”
J.I. Burton also locked up the LPD boys Tournament Title for the fourth straight year with incredible performances by Wes Ward and Cruz Redman. “Wes (Ward) and Cruz (Redman) beat guys that were undefeated,” says J.I. Burton Coach Hank Hankins. “We had some good things to build on to Region D Tournament. It was a good all-around effort.”
Wednesday's match results were as follow:
Boys' Matches
J.I. Burton 5, Clintwood 2
Singles
Caleb Crowder, J.I. Burton beat Daniel Robinson, 6-3, 6-2
Jackson Mullins, Clintwood beat Andrew Hylton, 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
David Stacy, J.I. Burton beat Josh Meade, 6-3, 6-1
Wes Ward, J.I. Burton beat Daniel Vanover, 6-4, 6-1
Jordan Slone, Clintwood beat Cody McElroy, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
Cruz Redman, J.I. Burton beat Cody Swindall, 6-1, 6-4
Doubles
Crowder/Hylton, J.I. Burton beat Robinson/Holmes, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
Girls' Matches
Gate City 5, Pound 1
Singles
Tara Sheets, Gate City beat Samantha Rife, 6-0, 6-0
Krista Jenkins, Gate City beat Kelsey Adkins, 7-5, 6-4
Whitney Bolling, Pound beat Kyndall Wininger, 6-4, 6-4
Mallory Lane, Gate City beat Sydney Bowman, 6-4, 6-2
Kaitlyn Musick, Gate City beat Haley Dale, 6-0, 6-0
Doubles
Sheets/Jenkins, Gate City beat Rife/Adkins, 6-0, 6-0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment