Sunday, May 10, 2009

Viers to represent Cavs on U.S. National Team

By Cody Dalton
Staff Writer

NBA great Michael Jordan once said, “I’ve always believed if you put in the work, the results will come.”

The truth is that most athletes work their entire lives to showcase all of the talent they possess, but never do. However, one local UVA-Wise student will be doing just that on a very big stage in May.

Junior volleyball player Natasha Viers received word last week that she will be a participant and an ambassador for the USA Athletes International volleyball team this May. Viers will also play in the annual “Barbados vs. USA Friendship Volleyball Tour” that runs from May 31 through June 7.

“The feeling going to Barbados with team USA on the front of my jersey is one that I don’t think I can describe in words,” Viers said. “I’m thrilled and just really excited to play the game I love the most, as well as travel to Barbados.”

Viers, a physical education major, was selected by the USA Athletes International (USAAI) for her success on the volleyball court and in the classroom as well. She earned her second All-Academic team honors this season from the Appalachian Athletic Conference. For her play on the court, Viers also won All-NAIA Region XII team honors for the second time in her career, as well as All-Appalachian Athletic Conference first team.

“We were all very proud of her,” said sophomore teammate Kristen Salyer. “Tasha’s play on the court is very impressive. This says a lot about just how great of a player she is.”

USAAI, a non-profit organization that works in conjunction with the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) to promote athletic competition for athletes in volleyball and 12 other sports. This organization gives athletes not selected to the USA National team, a chance to have a similar experience.

An Abingdon, Virginia native, Viers has already began training for the trip she will embark on in May.

“I’m lifting weights three times a week early in the morning, conditioning, and trying to really watch what I eat,” Viers said. “It’s hard at times, but I know I’m doing all of this for the sport I love and it will pay off when I get down there.”

Fellow co-captain and senior Kate Daub had absolutely no doubts about Vier’s playing ability and why she was selected to the team.

“Natasha has always been an extremely talented athlete,” Daub said. “I always knew that she had the skills to do anything she put her mind too. We were all very proud that Natasha was selected.”

Viers said she was overwhelmed by the support she has received from her teammates and said that received this honor is a culmination of everything she has done since she starting playing volleyball.

“I feel like everything I’ve put in even since high school has led me to this wonderful experience,” Viers said. “I always dreamed of playing professional volleyball, but I never thought it would come true. All the 5 a.m. workouts, the running, and the stress have been well worth it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment